A book I recommend to anyone who wants to know why the heck in the world I came out here in the first place is the one we just finished by Bill Johnson: When Heaven Invades Earth.
Before I came I was able to articulate the thought, "If Jesus really is who he says he is, and he's here with us, then there must be more--there must be more to this life with him."
and then after I got here, I could put words to the feeling that I've tasted something now, and I can't go back to living with the understandings I had before.
But, there is so much that I am not able to articulate about what I'm experiencing here. I think this book does a really good job of doing that for me. Bill Johnson writes clearly and the book is broken up into a lot of short chapters and is easy to follow. It just puts to words a lot of what I wish I could share with people but can't because I wouldn't know how to say it all. So, Christmas is coming, give yourself a present!
http://www.amazon.com/When-Heaven-Invades-Earth-Johnson/dp/0768429528/sr=1-1/qid=1164699138/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9937458-6880130?ie=UTF8&s=books
We had an assignment a few weeks ago to make a list of our core values. Core Values being defined as the deep truths of your life, your motivation for a way of living, and what is ingrained in you to help you bounce back to truth when life is out of control or you've hit bottom. I kindof rushed through my list, we had to have at least six--so I may be editing it soon. But I thought I'd post it anyway, just for kicks.
1. God's love is the most powerful force in the universe for creating change.
2. There are things that carry eternal value and things that carry temporal value. That which holds eternal value is always of greater importance.
3. It is possible to search out and find the truth of God in every situation.
4. Healthy relationships within a family are SO important and full of blessings.
5. Complete satisfaction and fulfillment exists only within the context of a relationship with God.
6. God is always good. I can't do anything that would make him love me more or less. He is not limited or defined by my understanding of who he is and what he can do.
Here's me and a cat that I wish could be mine. About a month ago I was pretty set on getting a collar for it and adopting it, but then I found out that he belongs to the neighbors.
We got library cards for the public library the other day. So far we've checked out dated VHS movies for free and today I got a book about clouds that claims to be able to teach me how to predict the weather. This is a pretty sunset from our upstairs, facing the southwest--maybe next time I'll be able to tell you what those clouds are called.
Annd lastly, our apartment downstairs in the preliminary stages of being decorated for Christmas. You can't tell by the picture, but there is, of course, an Amy Grant christmas album playing in the background.
No comments:
Post a Comment